27.12.11

Girls Who Make Music and Like Cats and Maybe Wear Glasses

I like the Internet okay. It has cats. 

You know what else? Felines and female singer-songwriters. It's a thing. Kind of like the theme of hot vampires, the motif of cute girls and cute cats is historical and enduring. So, I've decided to compile a few of my favorite cat-themed music videos by some of my favorite female musicians. Conclusion? Every chick worth her guitar pick should hire a mouser.


Bjork, "Triumph of A Heart," 2004

It's everyone's favorite (and the only one anybody knows) Icelandic pop songstress, in a video directed by the ever-awesome Spike Jonze. In the video, an asymmetrically pigtailled Bjork gets upset when her cat boyfriend (you read that right) is distant and unaffectionate one morning. Cat Boyfriend is sporting a wifebeater, so you know he must be an unruly cad. What else is a girl to do? Bjork goes out on the town with her friends and gets toasted on champagne. I don't want to ruin the plot, but it ends with a bizarre and adorable dance sequence that is sure to give you palpitations of the heart (unless you're not human, and don't like cats or Iceland or something.)


Lisa Loeb, "Stay (I Missed You)," 1994

Back in the '90s, Lisa Loeb pretty much invented the "girls with glasses and cats" aesthetic. QED. While the song "Stay" plumbs the difficulties of a romantic relationship, the video is a simple and pleasant one set in Ms. Loeb's empty apartment. "Stay (I Missed You)" is on this list thanks to the long opening shot of Lisa's cat chilling on a chair near a window. Sure, you say, but the cat's only a minor character. Well, I say, check out the album cover for "Tails":

"Tails" -- get it? Plus featuring more than one pun!


Best Coast, "Crazy For You," 2010

I think this video pretty much kills it when it comes to the "girls who make music and like cats" theme. Right? Kills it in a good way? Bethany Cosentino, who basically is Best Coast, has made no secret of the fact that her overfed domestic tiger Snacks is her BFF. In this charming video, Bethany surf-pops her heart out about some guy she's crazy for, while a gaggle of hard-working cats do the camera work. Best part: kitten in a red bandana doling out the muchies.

I'm sure I left out a bunch of cat-themed music videos with cat-loving frontwomen, but three's a nice number. In other news, my cat and I are currently working on our lo-fi synth-pop album, which will feature songs about our mutual love of sleeping, eating, and avoiding social occasions.

2 comments:

  1. Hah! I loved this. Cats & girls & music forever. Or, in the words of all of my blog's 250 spam comments: I find the blog post to be both entertaining and informative. I am impressed with your knowledge on the particular subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want generically complimentary spam comments! I don't get any on blogspot. What a gyp.

    ReplyDelete