18.12.11

The Pose n' Pout

And ... I'm baaaaaack!

Not that I was really gone. 

I just popped over to my college town of Portland, Ore. for a little over a week's visit to see my best friends and to remind myself what the young urban lifestyle feels like. 

It feels kinda lame.  

Now, don't get me wrong. I love going dancing, and dining on salads and whiskey sours at nearly midnight at hipster bars that are all taxidermied out. I flipping love taxidermy. And whiskey. And bearded men in urban settings. But I can't stand that city livin' compulsion to always go out and be social, or else feel like you aren't really livin'. On the contrary, a quiet night in with your buds, or even by your lonesome, is sometimes the best night to be had.

As for the pros and cons of shopping: while in Portland, I successfully avoided hoarding at the Bins (by the way, the linked article makes the Bins sound way scarier than it actually is), where I would've most definitely acquired more crap than would fit in any normal human suitcase. 

I did, however, buy some stuff at a Mormon thrift store on 82nd Avenue (the most fun place on Earth). The friendly Mormon cashiers thought my friends and I were there to buy ugly Christmas sweaters. Whatever, friendly Mormon cashiers. This ain't my first rodeo and I ain't no debutante, if you know what I mean. I actually don't know what I mean either. But I did some real wardrobe shopping at that store: an ivory pleated skirt, a red velvet purse, and a Mormon women's league basketball jersey (with sleeves for modesty's sake). 

My first week's return to Houston brought me back to the comforts of Goodwill, where I purchased a size large sheer black blouse (excitingly knee-length), and back at home I promptly got down with the style blogger pose and pout:


I hope my future boyfriends appreciate how many pictures there are of me on the Internet in date-appropriate outfits. There's a treasure trove of possible wardrobe choices here, fellas. Just kidding, I plan to wear my Mormon b-ball jersey on all my future dates.

Just so you know, my best galpals have concluded that my style falls into the category of "some girl in a Prince impersonator's music video in Soviet Russia in the '80s." I'm so excited!

1 comment: