27.10.11

Je Suis La Bloggeur Girl

If your morning didn't look something like this, then obviously you are not living in a Serge Gainsbourg film. Too bad.

"Roller Girl" is a musical number from the 1967 TV movie Anna starring Danish actress Anna Karina. It was directed by Pierre Koralnik and co-written by everyone's favorite skeezy Frenchman, Serge Gainsbourg.

Anna: Looks like this lady lives in a greenhouse. I know I'm jealous.
The "Roller Girl" video is pretty great because it features Anna Karina, garbed in naught but knee-highs and a blouse, busting out a solo dance party - which of course is what women do all the time when they're home alone, so it works real well as a movie trope. Unfortunately, I  haven't been able to track down a copy of Anna, so I can't give a compelling review of this movie musical, but I'm sure it's a delightful little cotton-candy film.

I know this because YouTube is usually a good indicator of quality (what am I saying?). Also, I should 'fess up to the fact that Anna Karina is one of my favorite actresses of '60s French cinema. I think she's just as adorable, expressive, and funny as Audrey Hepburn. It also helps that the costume departments in her movies always treated Ms. Karina right. Feel that little tremor of style inspiration I'm hinting at?

You bet you do. And now I'm going to proceed with this style inspiring moment. Not as awesome as Anna K., but I do pretty well in a pinch:

I've got a long carnation pink blouse, Ben Franklin's bifocals, and not-quite-knee-highs. My favorite part of this photo: it looks like my pins are seriously detached.

Now, you may be wondering: what's the point of taking style cues from a character outfit that you can't exactly wear in public? Well, that's a silly question! Why wouldn't I wear just a large blouse and some socks out on the town? But I guess sometimes you can't get away with being too eccentric.

So, let's make this classic morning-after ensemble into the sort of stylish outfit you could wear to a Bar Mitzvah, a baptism, or a ballgame (I dunno, ran out of alliterative ideas there).

First step, belt that blouse:


And dispense with the socks and add leggings! 

And what do we have here ... uh oh, looks like I'm wearing the furniture. Devo hat (slash '70s-era lampshade) optional but definitely recommended. Sticking to the theme was boring, I hope you make a statement at your next event like this:


Well, that was fun! Tune in next time. Or don't. I'm all about democracy.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that Anna K. movie, but it seems pretty adorable just like you and your at-home costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your look and Anna KARINA style ! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. see it hereYOURURL.com this contentpop over to this site get redirected herenavigate to this website

    ReplyDelete