17.11.11

Menswear

Sometimes I like to browse the men's shirts in Goodwill. The fabrics and prints are always so cool, and sometimes they're way more aesthetically intriguing than their counterparts in the women's section.

I never really get looked at twice in the men's depo. One, because I could be buying a shirt for my boyfriend/uncle/boss/dentist/taxidermist. Two, because it is totally okay in modern American society for women to wear menswear, as long as it is properly feminized. It's scientific. The term "Boyfriend Sweater" arose out of some primal need in women to borrow their boyfriends' cardigans when they can't find their own, or because they want a garment that's actually warm or that has a decent amount of pockets.

I definitely have that primal need. And so today I'm showcasing my recent menswear find from Goodwill. This isn't a Boyfriend Sweater, this is a Dead Fat Guy Whom I Never Dated Flannel Shirt.

I guess you're wondering who I am to judge whether the former owner of this Claybrooke Outdoors purple flannel shirt is dead or alive or fat. I mean, a size large is a normal size in menswear, and the ex-owner could've been some normal, well-meaning chap cleaning out his basement or attic. I like to think the best of people! Like, there's no way this guy was a bearded ax-murderer!

I'm sure he was just some cool, socially adjusted, but slightly distracted feller who put too many pens or pairs of keys in the right breast pocket, so he ripped the seam. That was an easy fix-up sewing project for me, plus I got a dollar off the shirt!

Snacks for thought: Wearing pieces of men's clothing is considered socially acceptable for women, because it is (still) an act of appropriating the apparel of a superior class, economically and professionally. Hence the women's pantsuit. Gender hierarchy means that women have greater mobility when it comes to wearing gendered clothing, masculine or feminine. This goes to show that sometimes being able to wear what you want is possible for really rotten ideological reasons.

So, for better or worse, what are some of your favorite menswear items, or menswear that has crossed over to womenswear?

3 comments:

  1. "Wearing pieces of men's clothing is considered socially acceptable for women, because it is (still) an act of appropriating the apparel of a superior class, economically and professionally." Well put! While we can cross another gender sphere through costume, it's still unacceptable for dudes to don girlfriend styles (excluding fitted wear if that's to be included). What are people afraid of when they see someone who isn't conforming to one gender role? How does it threaten the dominant white male patriarchy? (If this is the right group to target.. I'm just blabbering because I liked this post.)

    Love how you're rockin' that flannel and also how you named it. I love menswear translated to fit women-- like Boy by Band of Outsiders. And also menswear translated shoes or just unisex shoes like Dieppa Restrepo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own any Boyfriend-type clothes, but I do have some Dad Oxford Shirts and Dead Fat Guy Whom I Never Dated Sweaters! They're the bomb. I also love love unisex shoes due to my enormous feet. And I love love your blog. x

    ReplyDelete