5.9.11

Get Crucial

Today's post is an ode to teen angst.

Teen what?

Teen angst!

'Cause why? 'Cause I just watched Heathers for the tenth time (probably), and I've decided that teen angst is probably angst in its most marketable form. Teen angst is kinda cool and self-important and memorable. All of us remember - or at least we've bought into some collective Hollywood memory of those salad days of stressin' over boys and SAT scores or whatever.

But ... let's not forget about young twenties angst. Young twenties angst -- when you don't know what you're doin', where you're goin', or why you're doin' the things you do. Young twenties angst is a complicated thing. It's not simple like teen angst, where you just read Catcher in the Rye or too much Nietzsche and made snide comments about people at the mall. Nope.

Commercial break! Today's outfit, inspired by angst:


Pastel pink sweatshirt, à la Dawn Weiner, from da Binzzz. Chums, the collar is 100% fake and built-in.

What was that? Dawn Weiner? Yup. Few things are more angst-ridden than Welcome to the Dollhouse. Hold up. Is that some intense hummingbird/flower action I see? Whoa girl, this sweatshirt is a lot more action-packed than you woulda thought! I wear this little horror mostly at sleepy time, though.


And why not wear this lil' sweatshirt with some grey denim? Now, I should clarify that I usually never wear pants. I do not prefer pants. Pants are something awful. Pants are, like, the Devil's gift to big-bottomed gals. And they bandage up your legs instead of highlighting them the way skirts or dresses do. This is just my theory, though, so don't take offense, all you pro-pants members of my reading audience.

Still feeling angst-y? Embrace it, kiddo! You've got a long road ahead of ya!

In other news,  I've been making mixtapes, maybe coming soon to a mailbox near you.

What's on 'em? You'll know when you get 'em. Side note: Sometimes, when I'm not blasting early Madonna, I like to put on Missy Elliott's Da Real World album. I love how Missy raps about how she'll cook for her fella in exchange for Bentleys and diamonds. It's like The Feminine Mystique, ghetto-style, in 1999. Now, is The Feminine Mystique a complicated (and problematic) book that I've just reduced to a one-liner for humorous purposes? Guilty as charged, clever trousers!

Continuing with the theme of angst, I present "Little Trouble Girl":


Am I weird for liking this video as much as I do? Probably. But it's a duet with everyone's top favorite Kims of '90s rock. Yes, sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment